9/17/07

The Crochet Pencil Skirt


Old-Fashioned meets Classy here!

This skirt is so stinking cute and couldn't be easier!

I saw a similar skirt at an online boutique site for $38.00! This cost me $4.50 for the yarn and some time.













To go with this skirt, you could dress up a plain colored shirt with a matching crochet flower to stitch on it. This would look SO cute with a little tan blazer, tights, and some cute boots! What a GREAT winter outfit!

Don't forget to put a little slip underneath! You could hand-stitch something on the inside, but I'm not that ambitious.


This skirt is meant to be fitted, so the shape looks a little funny in this picture, but I'm pretty sure it looks better on than off. I'm planning on fine-tuning my pattern a little and maybe making the skirt flare out a little bit instead of hugging the hips so much, but this is a GREAT beginner starter project.

So here's how to get started:
You'll need: size "J" or "K" hook
1 or 2 skeins yarn (depending on the size you're going to make.)

I started with a chain and measured the waistline of my daughter to determine how long it should be. I added a few extra stitches (about 2 inches extra) so she'll be able to get it on and off. The drawstring will help hold it on, so that won't be an issue.

Then I SC (single crochet) a large rectangle like this, careful to pick up the stitches on the sides when I turned my row. Here are some basic SC instructions. See my Double Crochet instructions on how to turn a row.


From where your hook is, join the two ends (right sides together) by slip stitching them together inside the first loop of each chain on either side.

(Put hook through one loop on one side, then the adjoining loop on the other side, grab yarn, pull through all loops. Repeat all the way down.)

Your sides might not be exactly even so you'll have to stretch it into shape to make both ends align at the tops and bottoms.


Remember: It's OKAY if it's not totally perfect! You're not a machine!




Here's what it looks like on the reverse (right) side.











When you're done slip stitching it together, you're already in place now to do a ruffle border. Here's my instructions on ruffle borders.










Crochet a chain in contrasting color for a drawstring. Lace it through the top of the skirt.









To embellish the skirt, make up some cute loopy flowers and hand stitch them in place.





And you're done! Maybe this could be a little family heirloom or something nice to pass down.









REMEMBER: If it's hand made, you should hand wash.

5 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

Soooo darling!

DeGooyer Family said...

Abby - you AMAZE me! I don't know how you have the time to do all of these awesome projects! You're my Super Mom. =)

Abby said...

Thanks, Alana! I'm definitely NOT a super mom - honestly, if it's not easy I don't do it. This little skirt worked up in a Sunday afternoon while visiting with my husband. Crochet is the one thing you can do anytime, almost anywhere!

Pattie said...

I am excited about this project i am going to give a try can you email me and tell me what size crochet hook you used

Abby said...

Pattie, I don't have your email address! If you check this, I used a size "K" hook