4/23/09

Cooking 101 - Summer Fresh & Easy



It's time to make dinner and I DON'T want to do it. If only I hadn't been so hasty in firing our chef....(and the maid...and the nanny....)

So here's something quick'n'easy for days like today. This dinner SERIOUSLY takes 15 minutes to make - and 30 minutes to cook. And it's pretty healthy, too.

Go get you some of this Weber BBQ rub - it's SO good. Pull some frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer, thaw for a few minutes in the microwave, and rub them down with this stuff, and maybe a little salt. Toss them on the grill on med-low heat for about 20-30 minutes, turning once, and in the meantime...




...You'll prepare your roasted veggies. Preheat the oven to 450-475 degrees. Cut up some potatoes, carrots, and onion (I used leeks), toss with some salt (sea salt is the best), pepper, dried thyme, and a generous helping of olive oil. Get your hands in there and toss those things. Roast until they turn golden brown all over and are fork tender, stirring at least once or twice.

If you use leeks, don't add them until half-way through. They're very thin and will burn easily. Onions should be fine, though.

And THEN...if you're lucky like me and have a smoothie maker, you can whip up a delishy, healthy smoothie to go with your fab dinner. (I need to do a smoothie post because they're my fave.)

Dinner is done and, once again, you come across as a goddess. Now, I'm just warning you...you're gonna be sitting there, while your chicken and veggies are cooking, and go, "What the?! That's it? Shouldn't I be working up a sweat or stressing?" but no, baby, dinner is taken care of and you can hide in the bathroom for a sec with that Anthropologie catalog that came in the mail and hope against all hope you win the lottery so you can afford the $800 dress you LOVE in there! (...and the $90 shoes and the $400 handbag...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious!
I love reading your posts---you have a killer sense of humor! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Jessica said...

I will have to try that! I've been in a serious slump lately! YUM!

Lauren -HCP said...

Looks yummy and sounds easy- my kind of dinner- thanks for posting it, and GREAT blog!

Nicole said...

Okay, I know I am technologically in the stone age here, but I have to ask: How do you put the super-cute borders around your pictures? Is that something I can do in PhotoShop or can I use something else? I enjoy your blog so much and I am inspired to do a little blog for my fam and friends - but I want it to be super cute like yours!