11/10/07

Single Crochet - Playful Scarf Set













Okay, so TWO things happened here: It was my dear friend Jen's birthday... AND I fell in love with this yarn at our local shop. (How GREAT, huh?!) It honestly didn't take very much time and before evening was over, I had a great gift for Jen! The specialty yarn was kind of pricey, but well worth it!!! I can't tell you how much fun it was watching the beautiful colors change and the scarf take form!!!

(For you Arizona girls, people out here love to get cute scarves this time of year because it won't be long until our eyelids freeze shut and nasal moisture crystallizes.)

I used three 49-yard balls of thick, double-twisted yarn (Muench Yarns - "Big Baby") and a "K" hook. Depending on how wide you want your scarf to be, you might only need two balls of yarn.

The flowers were made by using my previously posted "Loopy Flower" technique - but with a lot less stitching because this yarn is so thick. Then I hand-stitched them onto the gloves. They looked SO cute on Jen!

So here's how to get started:
Make a chain about as wide as you want your scarf to be. I chained 10 times on this one - but the one I'm doing now I only did 8.











Place your hook in the THIRD chain from your hook.






Yarn over, (grab yarn with hook) and pull through first loop.







Yarn over again and pull through next two loops.







End like this.









Start over in the next space until you've gone all the way across.























Chain one...












...flip over and start again, placing your hook in the SECOND loop from your hook (not counting the loop you have on your hook). With this pattern, always use the SECOND loop from your hook when you start a new row.


So there should be a loop on your hook, a single chain (the one you made before you turned), a space between the outermost loop, and the 2nd space over is the one you'll use every time.


When you get to the end of your row, be sure to pay attention to that little corner loop you've got to stitch in. It's easy to miss because it doesn't have as visible an "opening" like the other chains have but you have to get this chain, as well, or your work will look funny.



Can you see where I need to make my stitch?





Do your single crochet in that loop, chain one, and turn. Do this over and over again. If you don't like how your work is turning out, take it out and start over. No big deal!












Here I am again at the end of a row. There is the end row loop I need to pick up and do my last single crochet before I chain one and turn.


This yarn is awesome because the end loops are so much more visible than the bumpy yarns.










So there I am, making that last stitch before I turn. SC (single crochet), ch (chain) 1, turn.















Keep going and going and before you know it, you've got a long piece of something!


3 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

THAT was the CUTEST scarf and gloves set! You ROCK!!!!

Katee said...

I am going to try this one--thank for the inspiration. If it turns out, I'll made it for a few of my sister-in-laws.

DeGooyer Family said...

What a great gift idea!