8/23/07

Cooking 101 - Molly's Green Chili Stew

This is a WONDERFUL recipe I've tweaked a little from my girl Molly. Paired with a fresh homemade whole wheat tortilla, you just might kill over from the yumminess in your mouth.

You'll Need:
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
4-5 slices bacon OR 1 T. olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1-2 cans diced green chili (I use 3)
Salt & pepper

Brown meat, season with salt, pepper, dried onions, Lawry's seasoning salt; set aside. (just a little dash of each.) In a large stockpot, cook bacon until crisp, set aside; reserve 1 T. of the drippings OR skip the bacon and add 1 T. olive oil - heat through. In the oil or drippings, Saute onion, green chili, salt, pepper, garlic until soft & fragrant - about 3-5 minutes.

Then, Add:
4-5 c. chicken broth (1 c. water=1 bullion cube)
1-2 cans red kidney beans
1 can cannelli beans
1 bag frozen corn
1 t. cumin
1 t. oregano
2 cans green chili enchilada sauce

Bring to a boil, simmer 10-15 minutes.

Add:
Ground beef
Bacon (if you're going that route)
Salt & pepper to taste
A smidge of heavy cream - optional but extraordinary

NOTE: You can use just about anything you've got in the freezer or pantry. Mix it up a little and try your own favorite veggies or use grilled chicken instead of ground beef.

3 comments:

Marla said...

This was delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Allison said...

Do you use 3 cans of diced green chillies or whole ones? Green chillies are my favorites....I'm excited to try this recipe!

Abby said...

Oopsie! I guess I forgot to specify diced or no diced - I use diced green chilie but you can cut up your own if you don't have diced.

(I specified diced on the recipe now! Thanks!)