10/1/08

Cooking 101 - Summer Corn Chowder












This is one of my MOST favorite soups of all time - we just had this yesterday. It's a very basic base, it's quick and easy to make, and it has the most homey, earthy, comforting flavors you'll ever taste. (is homey a word? Besides "What up Homey?")

I have a story about this soup, too! (how fun...I love stories!...but this really isn't very exciting - just a fun memory of this soup.) It was a couple of years ago, in the Fall, and VERY, very cold in Michigan at that time. The sun was going down early, making everything dark too soon - and I noticed that we had a newlywed couple moving in across the street. I assumed that they were cold and hungry, and knowing that I had soup and homemade rolls cooking, I walked over and invited them in for a warm dinner. (thank goodness it wasn't hot dog night...) They gladly came over and joined us for dinner, we sat down to this comforting soup and warm rolls, and we all smiled and devoured it in our warm little home, getting to know one another. So when I eat this particular soup, I get that memory stuck in my head every time and it never gets old!

Anyway - you HAVE to try this. I'm serious. Also, I usually skip the bacon and go the olive oil route, but if you want to do it right, use the bacon.

Summer Corn Chowder

4 oz. Bacon (or 2 T. olive oil)
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 can diced green chili
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 t. thyme
salt & fresh ground pepper
3-4 c. chicken stock (less stock if you want thicker soup)
2 1/2 c. yellow summer corn (or 1 medium bag of frozen corn)
5 oz. red potatoes, diced (about 4-5 medium sized potatoes)
1 - 2 pieces grilled chicken, diced
1 1/2 c. half & half

Cook bacon in stockpot until browned; remove and transfer to a paper towel, set aside. Discard all but 2 Tablespoons of the drippings. (OR...in stockpot, heat up 2 T. olive oil) Add onions, celery, thyme, salt & pepper, and green chili; cook until onions are translucent. Add stock, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes.

Add corn & potatoes; cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add half and half, as well as the chicken, and simmer until soup is hot. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt.

Ladle soup into bowls and garnish by crumbling bacon on top.

Don't forget the homemade rolls!

20 comments:

Heidi Boos said...

Sounds yummy, I'll have to give it a try, especially with the fall weather coming in. Comfort food is a must! This is obviously a very beginner cook question...is chicken stock the same as chicken broth?

Heidi A. said...

Yum! We love corn chowder. And, the granola looks delicious too! I'm going to have to try some of your recipes!

We've got a new site http://mormonmomswhoblog.blogspot.com and would love to have you join us if you'd like.

Just go to our site and leave your blog name in the comment area. Then, we'll add you and other's can get your great ideas too!!! :)

LuckyRedHen said...

I soooo dig Corn Chowder.

When I have it, my memory is when I was a new mom by a few days, living in the middle of nowhere in an old ladies basement apartment. My new friend I met at church brought me a HUGE container of corn chowder that I relished for days. I think she brought something else, but all I remember is the chowder.

I'm totally making this soon!

lera said...

I make a similar soup with Polish sausage instead of chicken.

Abby said...

Heidi - yes, chicken stock and broth are the same thing. You can even use chicken bullion cubes and water if you don't feel like making or purchasing broth.

sunny said...

do you have a recipe for some awesome homemade rolls, too?

Tisha said...

mmm.... sounds so good! Can't wait to try it!

Bahama Shores Mama said...

thanks for the yummy recipe.....I'll be making it as soon as the weather turns cooler here.

Frozen Cacti said...

Actually chicken stock is made from boiling just the bones in water. Broth is made from the meat and vegetables being simmered in water. And what do you have against bacon? (just teasing) This does look really yummy - especially now that it's starting to cool off.

Our Hands For Hope said...

Abby,
Would love to have you Try RED....

It's for the kids.

http://sabiiwabii.blogspot.com/2008/10/red-art-project.html

Blessings,
Terisa

Jessica said...

Okay.. Can I tell you how many recipes of yours I actually try and LOVE! I just printed this one out and am trying it this week. I made your Mazurka (sp?) bars today! You totally rock Abby! Thanks!

sunny said...

just tried the other night...we ALL, even my picky eaters LOVED it! thanks for posting it!

Tonya said...

I made this tonight and it was delicious! My whole family enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sarah said...

I made this tonight. Delicious and easy! Thanks for the recipe.

Carolyn said...

Just surfin' the blogs and found you. I wanted to say Hi and nice blog.

Carolyn

Abby said...

WONDERFUL!!!! I'm so glad you like the soup! If only I had some right now - I'm starving...

Happy Mom said...

If I had celery and red potatoes, I'd be making it right now! Mmmmm. I steal most of your recipes. I just want to know where the recipe for homemade rolls is??? I have a good recipe, but I never make them because they take 3 hours!

Chelsea said...

I, too, made it. It was great. It took a lot longer than I thought it would and of course I made my own adjustments, but it was a delicious base recipe to start with! I think next time I'll try making it with hominy AND corn.

Brooke said...

YUM YUM YUM! I want to eat it NOW! Thanks for sharing. I just discovered your blog and am loving it! :)

Trisha said...

Thanks for the recipe! It looks yummy, and it is snowing today here so warm soup will be perfect!