10/28/08

Cooking 101 - Roasted Brussels Sprouts


I'm embarrassed to say that I've never tried Brussels sprouts before yesterday. AHHH!! What on earth is WRONG with me?! Anyway - I got a taste of what I was missing out on and I swear I could eat these every day and not tire of them! And - these little guys are SO CUTE!!! They're like little tiny heads of lettuce! (but so much more flavorful in my opinion)





Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1 10-16 oz. package Brussels Sprouts
5-6 slices Turkey Bacon, cut into pieces
1/4 c. chopped nuts
Olive oil

Wash and cut the stems off of the Brussels sprouts, then slice them in half.
In a large skillet, cook turkey bacon with nuts until it's firm and a little crispy; remove from pan.
Add Brussels sprouts to the pan with a drop or two of olive oil. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add bacon bits and nuts to the pan, mix together, add salt to taste. That's it!

9 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

REALLY???? I will admit, your picture made them look super tasty. And my memories of trying them when I was 8 that have scarred my memory should probably be replaced with a happy brussel sprouts memory.... I love getting recipes from you!

Chanda said...

I'm not a brussel sprout fan, but your pic does loos tasty. I just may have to give them another try.

Chanda said...

Look, not loos. ;)

kristib said...

What kind of nuts did you use? Those really do look yummy, and I've never tried brussel sprouts, either. Maybe I'll have a new vegetable to add to my repertoire!

Kristine said...

I could just eat you up too. Your posts light up my day you always make me either laugh or so hungry. What a weird combo.

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Oh I love brussel sprouts! I've never had them with bacon though. We toss a little olive oil or coconut oil with ours and sprinkle with salt or garlic salt and put it in the oven at 400. Stir occassionally until the outer leaves are crispy and brown/black. Delicious! My husband said he could eat them everyday!
I'll have to try your recipe!

Abby said...

Hey Kristi! I used pecans but I'm sure anything would work!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh I LOVE brussel sprouts! They get such a bad rap but gosh they are so yummy. And adorable! I will def need to try this recipe next week- sounds great!

Raquel said...

Yummmo. I am making this dish. Thanks so much!