10/21/08

Kadie's Buttermilk Syrup

There are no words...you just have to try it, especially with the whole grain pancakes I just posted. The first time I tried this syrup with those pancakes, I got all cross-eyed and couldn't speak - just groan. It was amazing! Thanks, Kadie - now I have MORE laps to run today...BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!

**Note: I doubled this recipe and it pretty much boiled out of my huge stock pot. If you don't have a gigantic stock pot, I don't suggest doubling the recipe. However, because I made a big batch, I just keep a jar of the syrup in the fridge and it keeps nicely.

KADIE'S BUTTERMILK SYRUP:

3 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

4 T karos syrup

2 sticks butter

2 t baking soda


Mix all together in a large pan, boil for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and add 4 t vanilla

12 comments:

Alisha said...

The pancakes and syrup both sound delicious. I can't wait to try the recipes.

Angie said...

I love this syrup! My recipe is a bit smaller, but looks about the same. Yum, yum, yum. Your pancakes sound delicious too!

dorothy said...

Quick question on the syrup, do you use dark or light corn syrup or does it matter??? I do want to try it, had never heard of putting buttermilk in syrup!

Dorothy

Abby said...

Hi Dorothy! I used light corn syrup but I'm sure the dark would work, too. I'm kind of clueless about corn syrup! (no surprise, really!)

life in red shoes said...

I make this for Christmas, it's To Die For.

Chanda said...

How long would you say the syrup keeps in the fridge?

Christina said...

This is my new FAVORITE blog. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! (And it's a competitive blog-world out there:) Thanks for helping us all learn new skills and be become women!

Heather said...

YUM!! I make this fabulous syrup with pancake waffles/french toast...HEAVENLY!! I am making your pancakes tomorrow morning, or gee, maybe for dinner tonight!
THANKS!!
Yes you are right, extra exercise is so worth it!!!!

Abby said...

Hey Chanda! I'm not sure how long it keeps, but I'm going on about 3 weeks here and it's still fabulous. I'm sure it could probably keep for at least 6 months in the fridge given that it's basically cooked Karo - that stuff can last through an atomic bomb!

Raquel said...

The wheat blender pancakes, and the syrup you just posted have been our famiy Christmas breakfast for years.
I don't grind the wheat berries to much, and then the pancakes have just a bit of a bite to them.
Together this is a heavenly treat.

Alicia said...

Just found your blog and tried your pancakes/syrup. They were great, even my husband loved them and he is really picky! Thanks!

Brandis said...

Oh my goodness, this syrup is SO GOOD! I just want to drink it.