4/16/08

Farm Fresh Baby Shower

I love, love, LOVE baby showers and yesterday I got to put one together for two cute girlfriends. They're the best of friends and are having baby boys together, which makes this all that much more exciting! They were SO entertaining to watch and we all had a blast!

I decided to go "Farm Fresh" with peach cobbler, strawberry shortcake biscuits, piggies-in-a-blanket, and strawberry lemonade. Some friends brought some chocolate fudge bars and fresh veggies, which made it all perfect. Oh, and my door prizes were jars of jam! Smuckers has some new SEEDLESS, spreadable fruit jams - blueberry, black raspberry, fresh strawberry, and apricot! (of course, I got a couple for myself...)

In keeping with my whole "Farm" thing, I conveniently purchased a few of these "Big Red Barn" books by Margaret Wise Brown and Felicia Bond several weeks ago. This is one of our favorite books right now - probably for me more than anyone because I love farms and big, red barns.

And for each girlfriend, I made a soft blankie, matching burpie and onesie. My onesie was just a square that was top-stitched on the front with a 1/4" edge on it so that when it's washed, the edges fray a little. Despite what it seems, the set
couldn't be easier to make. If you do a few at the same time, you'll have a good stash of baby gifts for the future!

I actually did some online research and according to my findings, the blanket would have cost around $40.00, onesie $25-30.00, and burpie $15.00. So had I purchased this gift set at a boutique, it would have cost me $85.00! Now my sewing isn't exactly factory quality, but you get my point. It's TOTALLY worth it to make your own at home!

(cute girls!!!)

10 comments:

Lynaya said...

HOW FUN! I love baby showers. The farm idea is really good. It looks like a lot of simple fun. I love it.

Michelle said...

Hello there :) I'm new to your blog and just wanted to say hey! You did a great job with the shower and the gifts you made...thanks for sharing the pictures!

Take care,
Michelle
(Treasure the Moment)

Jocelyn said...

I love that idea for a baby shower. It's nice not to be smothered in pink or blue. What a fun menu, too. I'm still working (read: not at all) on my burpies project, but this gives me a little motivation...

Chanda said...

So beautiful! I love all the bright colors. What a fab idea. I may have to steal that in the future. You are seriously an endless well of ideas.

PS - I stole a peak of your backyard through that pic in front of the window. I want trees like that!!!

Zarsky Family said...

Too cute! I love the print you used. No baby showers for a few more months :(

Jules said...

That is such a cute theme! I have never even thought of it. Love the fabric on the goodies you made too. Nice job!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh I love all things baby. Tiny things are just plain cute! Love the gifts and your girlfriends are adorable too!

Monica said...

I have found your blog through my friend Julie but I am Jen Redfearn's sister in law. Thanks for taking care of my sister in law's baby shower! That is so sweet of you and I love your blog! Your creativity inspires me!

One Sassy Mama said...

Not sure how I found your blog - but I love it! Adding you to my google reader! Cute! Cute! Ideas!

April said...

I'm new, too, and I love, love, love your blog! What great ideas! I think the farm theme is brilliant and I love the onesie, blanket, etc. I'd love to see a tutorial sometime.

I'm using your apron tutorial to make Mother's Day presents for my sisters. I think they'll love them, too!

Thanks for a great spot in the blogosphere!