11/24/09

Advent Calendar - Final Phase!

STILL WORKING!!! {This is exactly why I started this advent calendar way back at the beginning of October.} I'm so close that I can taste it, though - so this is good! Kadie is getting close to finishing hers, too, I can't wait to show it to you!!!

Steps I accomplished in last few weeks:

* Iron on fusible webbing to the backs of each felt square. This gives the felt stability and protects the thread. I cut mine just a shade smaller than my 3 1/2 x 4" squares, pressed them on to the BACKS, and it couldn't have been easier.

* Measure & pin squares where I want them

* Hand stitch squares in place. Yep, one by one, and it did take forever, but wouldn't you agree that it looks MUCH nicer than running a sewing machine over it? After all of my hard work, I was NOT about to use a sewing machine. I've seen both methods and I just didn't like the look of machine stitching on the squares.

This goes to prove that slow, steady, and patience wins overall!

NOW...my next phase this week will include:

* Pick a cute font on computer, print out numbers 0-9. Holding the paper and fabric up to the window, trace numbers onto fabric.

* Hand stitch numbers in black - should not take much time - maybe a couple of hours. {And let's be honest here, I'd LOVE a good excuse to sit around today, watch a good movie, and stitch away.}

* Layer top, some sturdy felt batting, and the bottom together with right sides together. I'll probably use a spray adhesive to help make everything stay sturdy and stuck.

* Sew all the way around; turn right-sides-out; top stitch all the way around the entire tree. When I sew, I'm going to start at the bottom, leaving about 6 - 8 inches for an opening right in the center. IN that opening, after I've turned the tree right-side-out, I'm going to insert my brown tree stump and sew it into that space.

* Attach felt star on top

* Cut out & stitch white felt snowflakes in random places on tree - through all three layers. This will help secure my layers, as well as add more detail.

* Attach hanging hooks on the back

THEN I'LL BE DONE!!! All of this has to happen before this week is over!!! Let's see if I can make it!!!

19 comments:

Cole's Corner said...

It looks amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Holly said...

You can do it! I am in awe of the details on all your little squares! I just finished my own advent calendar, plus repairing one my mom made... lots of work but worth it.

Michele said...

It's so cute! Sending you good and happy stitching vibes.

Emilee said...

I have 3 squares completely done. I think it will have to wait for next year! It will be someting fun to FINISH during the cold Jan. Feb. March months in Montana!

Julie Harward said...

Can't wait to see it finished! I love it! Come say hi :D

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Very darling. I love the handstitching. Totally makes the look!
Hard work!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

A lot of work but well worth it. I don't sew, but even I feel like I could do this in a haphazard sort of way. At this point, your advent calendar is already beautiful so the end product will be fabulous! :) Blessings, Tammy

apholden said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

PaisleyJade said...

Clever you! It looks so good!!!

Tracie Boellner said...

Wow, this is incredibly wonderful. I wish I had the time and energy to do one of these myself. I'm going to copy it off to my files and hope that come January I can tackle it.

Keep up the great work, it'll definitely be a family heirloom!

DeGooyer Family said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

Jocelyn said...

It's really looking fantastic!

I've got 23 squares DONE! I'm unhappy with one of them and am still searching for the perfect last one, but STILL! I'm getting there!

I just ordered the felt for my tree. I decided to go with a felt instead of a calico, so I hope it turns out well.

Thanks a million times over for the inspiration!

One more thing -- how did you make your tree shape? Christmas trees are something I've never been able to make look "right," so I'm a little worried!

Oh, and yours is looking amazing! The hand stitching is DEFINITELY worth it! So beautiful! It's like you said -- there's no way I'm going to put in all this work and not have this be heirloom quality and something I want to look at year after year.

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

I just admire you so much. This is fabulous! :)

Sally said...

You have inspired me! I plan on starting this in February for next year and will do a couple of squares per month. I plan on making 3 of them. Love it. What an heirloom piece. :)

Chris and Suzette said...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Rande said...

I loved your idea so much I just had to make my own. I posted pictures here http://monkeynaroundinmontana.blogspot.com/2009/11/tree-is-done.html
I cannot wait to see your finished tree

Our Complete Family said...

Hi! Happy Holidays!!! I've been away from the blogs for so many months and what a great fun blog to come back to... you have been busy with crafts, creating and fun! I can't wait to see your finished advent project!

Sandy said...

I just love this idea and it's so pretty! Good Job!
Sandy

Rebecca said...

how did you hang it? I'm currently hand stitching the numbers on and I can't help but wonder how I'm going to get this thing on the wall!