8/7/10

Our Upcoming Super Saturday...

First, let me explain that our ward over here is so precious and unique for you girls out West - there aren't a lot of active sisters, so our group is on the small side, and we don't have many crafters.  There is interest in crafts, but there aren't crafters, so everything we do has to be fairly quick and easy.  A lot of what we're doing you have already seen on my blog, so they won't be new to you, but most of my ladies don't even know I have a blog, so this will all be new to them!  We might do another one of these craft days this Fall with Christmas/Holiday items, but for now, we're sticking with simple, quick, and easy.  ALL of these ideas can be used as inexpensive gift ideas during the Holiday season, though.

Here is a link to our Super Saturday plans with pictures of each project.  I don't have blog links up on that site simply because we're already going to be making the projects, but below is a list of links with their tutorials except the earrings.  My girl, Kadie, does those and I don't have a tutorial on them.  I think my favorite part of the day is that we're going to have an awesome luncheon: Build-your-own-gourmet-sandwich bar complete with grilling option and Kadie's homemade French bread!  We're going to have the works - smoked turkey, cucumbers, sprouts, lettuce, tomato, artichokes, pesto, and whatever else is heaven on a sandwich.

(I will also have a couple of quilts to tie, as well as a "scrapbook / misc." craft table up and running for the ladies who want to bring their own projects to work on.)

AND...what's my motto?  "It's All In the Details" So, for each project there will be printed instructions, supply lists, and recipes for each person, on half-sheet-size cardstock, and a little folder for the ladies to keep them in.  I'll show you when I'm done with them.  This way, they can always go home and make more without having to remember what exactly we did. {gasp!}

Scrabble Tile Necklace Pendant Tutorial
Etched Jar Tutorial (yes, you can use vinyl lettering!  or stickers. but they come off.)
Crochet Scarf Tutorial
Cafe Napkin to Apron - (get a napkin, throw THIS waistband on it)
Dry Erase Board Tutorial - here's mine (below).  I love it so much already.

17 comments:

Emily said...

oh cool! I was going to ask what you were doing for your super saturday because I was sure it would be fabulous!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

What fantastic ideas, so simple but really really effective! Thanks.

khead44 said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm not called to the Relief Society, but I know it is only a matter of time, so I'm definitely keeping this for future ideas. When you said you weren't doing any vinyl for your SS, I thought "What?! You can do a SS without vinyl?! Who knew?" I love all your ideas and wish I could somehow sneak over there and join in the fun. Love you, Love your blog, and I'm always amazed by your creative ideas.

Beanz Thingz said...

cute idea...question on how it's done...you charge per craft/event...does that cover supplies only or are you making a little profit too? and someone teaches the rest how to do it and the instructor buys the supplies? is there an overall cost to participate or just per event? do you supply food or bring your own?

i think this would be a great idea for a fundraiser for the scholarship commitee i'm on

thanks!
jodi

DeGooyer Family said...

I wish you could come and do our Super Saturday! =) I am in awe with the amount of talent you have!!

Beth said...

Sounds like SO much fun! I wish I had thought of that when I was in Relief Society. Scratch that, our "ward" (should be branch we're so small) has some great ladies, but they don't like anything, they can find something wrong with anything! But this is such a cute idea! I love love love it! I need to move to your ward.

The Peterson Family said...

All this craftiness makes me wish we were living in Michigan (despite the FREEZING winters)as we do NO crafy activities here in Hawaii. But I'll take the weather over that any day:)

Abby said...

We would LOVE it if you all would move into our ward! Come on over! Yeah, the winters can be pretty brutal compared to Hawaii, though.

Jilly Beanz - to answer your questions: we have some budget money set aside to help offset some of the costs of these projects in order for them not to be a burden on our church members. We absolutely do not make a profit - this activity is simply meant to bring us together. Because we want as many ladies to participate as possible, we have to make the projects very affordable. We cover the cost of the luncheon, as well.

If you were doing this as a fundraiser, you would need to charge a lot more for each project, as well as have everybody bring a sack lunch or something. Great questions, though - this would be a fun activity in any setting.

Thanks Ladies! I do need to give a shout out to my girl, Kadie, for finding the jar and jewelry ideas! We're co-collaborators - I can't take all of the credit.

Marni said...

Do you have a good source for napkins for the aprons? The examples are super cute!

Lynaya said...

I wish I had known about the dry erase board when we had our Super Saturday planning meeting. I have to admit that we are doing a project with vinyl and yes it was my idea. However I am so excited about it. After our ward does this project, it will be like the grapes, every one will want it. One thing that we are going to try for our Super Saturday is have a display table of cheap, easy and cafty Christmas gift ideas. I hope it works.

Michelle said...

Looks like so much fun! I am sure the sisters are going to love it!

Williams Family said...

Thanks! We're doing a super saturday on our ward in October and I've been looking for new and better ideas. Love them!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Looks like a bunch of super cute projects!

Kristi said...

hahahaha I think it's funny that how you feel about vinyl (I use it for party decorations BECAUSE it comes off lol) I feel about scrabble tile jewlery and the 'dry erase boards' that are picture frames ;) I see those everywhere now and they are super cute but the tutorials are every. where. lol (kinda like the fabric/paper flower tutes)
all of those are cute & are all great in moderation! :)

Abby said...

Kristi - that is SO funny because we haven't seen any of those things out here yet! Funny.

Carrie said...

Oh I love these. SUCH a cute blog you have here;)

Deb said...

Yessss! Thanks for sharing this!