10/21/09

Cooking 101 - Butternut Squash & Corn Chowder



Good heavenly mercy this stuff is amazing. If you'd really like a taste of fall, try this soup. Kadie brought it over on Sunday with some of her incredible Artisan Bread (it's all on her blog) and I was honestly blown away! I was over in my corner of the table groaning with my bowl of soup, dipping my bread in it, soup running all down my face, and not a bit embarrassed.

The adorable Kristine also brought over pork chops with the most heavenly glaze - I'm going to have to get that recipe for you, too. Everything all went together so well.

(that's how you have a 'dinner gathering' - everybody else brings the food!!)

I made this soup last night and bought a loaf of ciabatta bread at the store - buttered it, sprinkled Thyme on top, and broiled it for a few minutes. A-MAZING. okay, okay, on with the recipe. Geeze - all this needless chatter.

Butternut Squash & Corn Chowder

2 T vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks (about 5 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
10 oz frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 t curry powder
coarse salt and pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz each) vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a large heavy pot, heat oil over med-high heat. Add squash and onion. Cook until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Add corn and curry powder and cook until curry is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add broth and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes. In a blender, blend the soup until smooth, working in batches if you have to. Return to pot and stir in cream. Heat through but do NOT let it boil.

**Note: if you have one of those handy immersion blenders, that works better than dumping everything in a real blender. But use what you have and do what works.

3 comments:

Jenette said...

Thanks so much! Someone just gave me a butternut squash and I've never had it before so didn't know what to do with it. I'm going to be making this for dinner!

Rainy Day Farm said...

Oh, heavens to betsie, that looks sooooooo good. I am going to be making that for sure! Thanks for sharing it with us!

dutchlvr said...

Have you ever had delicata squash? My daughter Hazel (11 mo.) loves squash of any kind so I've begun to enjoy trying new, random squash on her. Delicata is a sweet winter squash; tastes like sweet potatoes and corn. So far it's a huge hit!