9/18/08

Cooking 101 - Great Morning Muffin Mix & Match



This AMAZING muffin recipe is so versatile and very basic - you can add ANYTHING to the mix! I'm going to give the general recipe and then you can just add or replace things that you like.

Muffins are AWESOME because they're fun for kids to eat and they can be very healthy. (and they make your house smell yummy, too!) So if mornings are stressful for you, start these muffins the night before with the dry ingredients and shredding your carrots and apples. The rest will come together quickly in the morning rush! (you know, while one kid is yelling because they can't find their socks, the little one's 10-pound diaper is falling off as he's walking around with a sharp utensil in his hand, the older kid needs papers signed for school, and you discover something rotten in the fridge as it drips all over and into everything...and the bus is coming in 10 minutes.)

Carrot Pineapple Muffins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. - makes about 15 regular sized muffins. (odd number, I know, but that's how much my batch made...)

In a medium bowl, combine the following:
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. oil (or plain applesauce)
2 lg. eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 c. grated carrots (or half carrot, half apple)
1 c. crushed pineapple
1/2 c. (or more) chopped pecans or walnuts

Mix together until combined.

In a large bowl, combine the following:
1 1/2 c. flour (or white wheat flour)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder

Whisk dry ingredients together; combine all ingredients together in the large bowl until combined; do not over mix. Spoon into greased muffin tin, filling the muffin cups almost to the top. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

just a thought:
Something I LOVE is ground flax seed (found in the baking aisle). I add this to EVERYTHING! I'll add a Tablespoon of that to the mix for just a touch of flavor and some good fiber. You could also add a Tablespoon of wheat germ for the same reasons.

Try different fruits, veggies, and nuts in your muffins - have fun with it.

7 comments:

eden&mike said...

Abby,
I love your blog. I was a lurker that stumbled onto your site when I was searching for bitty booties for our wards super saturday. Anyway, you are so creative. I love seeing all the fun stuff you do. Keep it up, it inspires me to keep trying to develop my talents.
Thanks!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I use Hodgson Mill milled flaxseed. Is that the same one? I love it too. It doesn't add taste, just a lot of good nutrician and fiber. It is a breast cancer deterent. I learned about it when my best friend got breast cancer. Love your blog. Twyla

Jessica said...

I tried them and they are very yummy!

Doty Family said...

We use flax seed too, but I buy the whole flax seed in bulk and grind it myself. You have to be careful in buying ground flax, because it will go rancid if you don't keep it in the fridge. It's so good for you!!!

Terri said...

I love this blog!!! Thanks so much for the fab muffin recipes - these are going to be great as cooler weather hits!

Terri

Lulubelle said...

Okay, I admit that I am an addicted blogstalker, but I'm not the creepy kind of lurker--my house has sunny windows and I do leave it often. Besides, my SIL has you linked on her page, so that makes it less creepy. But anyhoo, these muffins were DELICIOUS and I wanted to thank you for the recipe! I used the applesauce instead of the oil (an excellent suggestion, thank you very much!) AND instead of eggs (because I ran out!! gasp!!), I used ground flax seed with a little water. WOW!!! They were fluffy and the taste was incredible! Tasty and healthy--who would have thought it possible. Blessings to you and yours!

Heather said...

I made these last week. Loved them and made them again today - still love them!