1/7/09

Happy Spring Apron

Okay, I KNOW it's not Spring yet, but I'm bored with winter already. January through April is always so hard for me and the one thing that keeps me sane is color and cocoa.

So I was at the Pottery Barn Outlet yesterday and couldn't resist these yummy, bright, happy napkins for a dollar! Lately I've been craving bright, spring colors like it's chocolate - so you can understand my joy when I found these gems. You CAN buy happiness and in my case, it only cost $1.00. Now I want to go back and get the rest of what's left because these can quickly be made into easy aprons and I can put them in my birthday gift stash! These would make a great winter get-together gift, too. Have the girls over for mint tea and cookies and send them home with one of these! (you can buy happiness AND friends...that works out nicely, eh?!)

I made my waistband using this tutorial I posted a while back. The only thing I did different was sew a 45-degree angle at the ends to make them pointy.

Do you ever get holes in the bottom of your shirt? I do - especially if I'm doing dishes, my shirt gets wet, and I rub up against the counters working. I have to wear an apron when I do dishes or else I get holes in my shirts! (I'm pretty sure my dish soap is innocent)





Ah! I could wear this every day! Maybe the colors will get me through this gray, drab winter! And I'm sure it could be jazzed up a little more, but I wanted to keep this simple since this is intended to be worn and washed a lot.

(sorry if this is a bit blurry - it's kind of hard to focus the lens when you're taking your own picture!)

26 comments:

Cynthia said...

So So pretty!

Jocelyn said...

That's it! I need to start looking for cute cloth napkins on clearance!

Angie said...

I love it. I'm also not a fan of Jan-March or April (depending on the year).

Cary Hairbows said...

Beautiful, as always!

Tonya said...

I totally appreciate this post (with tutorial) because I, too, am longing for brighter, sunnier days. I am going to try my best to participate in your apron swap this year (if you do one), and I can't believe you got this fabric (or napkins) for $1!!! It looks terrific! Way to go!!! Thanks for sharing!

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

You did a fabulous job! Love it!

Jen Sue Wild said...

Who would have thought this was made out of an apron!! I will have to try!!

I have been craving spring colors too . I am so sick of no light and -30 weather we are having.

mandbrid said...

It's gorgeous! And YES I have holes in almost all of my shirts...it took me forever to figure out where they came from. I'm off to make aprons!

missliss5/Melissa said...

That is so dang cute, Abby!

Anonymous said...

This is darling! I am right there with you, craving spring!
Thanks for the cute idea...I'm off to find some cute napkins! :)

---Kari from http://thebabsblog.blogspot.com

Lynaya said...

I love the apron. I have a bad habit of wanting spring to start in January. The only problem with that is the cold weather.

Sheri Howard said...

DARLING apron, it is so cheerful! I know you will feel happier cooking in that!

GeonHui's Bakery said...

I love this! So cute!

Michelle said...

Darling, and now I am trying to figure out where the nearest PB is to me!

Crystal said...

Super pretty Abby! but I'm sure that you have to be a size 6 for that cute apron made simply from napkins to fit around one's waist! ;)

Yarni Gras! said...

it is GORGEOUS....just like a spring bouquet!

Krista said...

This is so pretty! Just looking at it makes me smile...

BTW...You look to be a pretty small lady, how would you make an apron like this for a plus size lady?

Abby said...

HAHA! I love that photos can be so deceiving. I'm NOT small, nor am I a size 6 so this little apron can fit just about anybody. If you have a larger waist, make a longer waistband and ties. I'm sure that if you took the entire length of a yard or yard-and-a-half and used that for either side of the belt ties, you'd get a big enough waistband. NO worries!

kristib said...

Adorable apron, Abby! And speaking of which...will you be hosting another swap anytime soon?

Jody Blue said...

very nice, you did a great job. Where do you get your energy!!!

Kimberly said...

Very resourceful! It looks very cute.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love love love it!

mylittlegems said...

So cute and so creative! Love it!

Shawnee said...

I need to find a Pottery Barn Outlet! That is perfectly MAH-VELOUS!!

Our Complete Family said...

That is darling! Good job!!!

Maisy said...

Wow...what an amazing apron. I have an obsession!!
Thanks for sharing!