9/3/09

Boutique Style Baby Bib



I have two new nieces (still don't know what I'm having yet, dang it) and it's been fun making girly things lately!

I love, love, love these beautiful baby bibs - and I never appreciated the importance of them until I got out my daughter's baby clothes and saw how stained the necklines were even after being soaked, Oxi-Cleaned, washed, and carefully put away for safe keeping. These little bibs help keep that down to a minimum allowing you to preserve your baby clothes AND your baby looks fabulous while spitting up. Ah! {thumbs up}


I used one of my old bibs for a template and tweaked it a little on some tissue paper. If you need a pattern to download, HERE is a link to a cute one. My bib was made by using a piece of cotton fabric and a piece of chenille, which gives it a fuzzy feel on the back.


My bib actually turned out quite small, which is what I was aiming for, but just keep in mind that you're going to have to turn everything right-side-out eventually and if you make your bib too small, it's going to be near impossible to turn it.

MY ADVICE: Keep the neck straps wide. Don't make them skinny!!! Mine were a little too skinny and I just about ruined the thing trying to pry everything to turn right-side out!

Once you have your pattern adjusted, pin it on to each piece of your fabric, trace, and cut them out.

Sew your bib with right sides facing together, leaving about a 4-inch opening on the side.

Trim the excess fabric EXCEPT for the opening where you'll be turning. You need extra fabric there for sewing the bib shut.

Cut tiny notches all around the bib in the curved parts (pretty much all of it) and this will allow the fabric to lay flat and curve without puckering.

NOW FOR THE HARD PART...carefully turn your bib right-side out. If you're using chenille like I did, be so careful because it will rip easily. Go slow and be patient!

Top stitch all the way around; sew two pieces of velcro to your straps, and you're done!

This would make a really cute gift set with a matching burpie and iron-on onesie! If you're REALLY ambitious, throw in a super easy baby blanket and you'll most definitely be the hero of any baby shower! {not that we care, right? I mean, it's all about the mom and baby - don't be so selfish...}

*Fabric comes from the Heather Bailey Pop Garden collection

17 comments:

beth said...

I really love your blog and all the adorable things you make!

It looks like this bib has some sort of trimming on it... is that the fabric edging or did you throw in some trim during sewing?

Abby said...

Hey Beth! Thanks for your cuteness! My bib doesn't have any trim - I used chenille for the back and so it's kind of peeking through on the sides. I love that look, though!

Michelle said...

I love the bibs...and just may have to try making some.

Did you know that you can put your stained clothes (stained from spit up) out in the sun and it will take care of most of the stains. It also works for baby poop as well. I am always amazed at how many of my clothes come out of storage with stains...but hang them in the sun for a couple of hours and they are usually as good as new.

Thanks for the cute idea. i am going to see if I have the stuff to try it now!

Heather said...

So I know this is from an older post, but I found you via Ucreat (love her)! Anyway...I got hoocked on your site and read back and saw that AMAZING baby nestie blanket and Buzzy bunny. Do you have a pattern or know where I can find one for that blanket?

Abby said...

Michelle-thanks for that sunshine tip! I had NO idea something that easy could work! I'm sure it bleaches out color a little, right? But if it gets that yellowey spitup junk out, then that would be awesome.

Heather - post coming soon on that nestie blanket! I haven't had time to take pictures as I go, but I'm going to soon. I don't know of any pattern online, but I'm definitely posting mine so it will be available.

Michelle said...

I have not noticed that it takes the color out...but I have always just been so happy to get the stains out. I have had to soak in oxi-clean, sun, wash and repeat on a few things that are really bad...but it works wonders!!

Ammieloris said...

Ooh, these are so cute! The fluffy fabric makes these lush and chic... but I'm gonna try them for my boy! Thanks!

Lorie said...

Abby! Those are gorgeous! I hope you don't mind if I feature them on my blog tomorrow!!

Liz said...

Very cute. I usually make bibs as gifts but I've never used chenille on the back. Thanks for the idea.

Tamaratravel said...

I have a three in one baby shower coming up..This is just the thing I needed..Thanks for the great idea...

Kari Sweeten said...

This is SUPER CUTE!! LOVE IT!

Terri said...

Baby things are my favorite things to make. I love making everything mix and match so they look nice in a cute basket. I will have to try your onesie idea, it looks so cute! Thanks for sharing.

Chris and Suzette said...

I'm throwing 2 surprise baby showers in the next 10 days for 2 stubborn friends that say they don't like to be the center of attention (what's wrong with these ladies?) and these will be the perfect addition to the other gifts I made!
THANKS for great ideas (with patterns) as always!

SevenEmery's said...

Many years ago a family member gave us some of their daughters infant clothing. Darling pale pink items and even a cute light blue corduroy dress ~ all stained yellow at the neck from spitting up and formula. A friend recommended using the C&C formula = use 1 cup Cascade Dishwasher Pwdr & 1 cup Clorox bleach for a full laundry load, reduce if doing smaller loads. Just combine the two in a washer full of water and let soak a couple of hours. It works like a charm AND left the colors intact! I have since used any brand of dishwasher powder & bleach with great results!! Then wash as usual. Great gift ideas!

Emily said...

AAWWWWW! So sweet...too bad I don't have anymore tiny babes to make these for :(

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I love it!! I just made a blanket and wipe combo and I have scraps left over - I think I may try this. Thanks for the tip!♥

Unknown said...

Hi there !
I'm expecting my first baby in June, and I'm making tons of accessories for him/her, including bibs. You can check them out on my new blog if you want : http://abrandnewbaby.blogspot.com/2010/02/2-new-homemade-baby-bibs.html (I have another blog, but I've created this new one for baby related projects). Cheers from France !